Sciatica, also referred to as sciatic nerve pain, can really put a damper on your day-to-day activities. But there's no need to live with that pain on a daily basis — because starting a simple practice of somatic exercises can naturally alleviate the discomfort of sciatic nerve pain and get you moving in no time.
What is sciatica?
If you've ever experienced sciatic nerve pain then you already know it can, quite literally, be the bane of some people's existence. Sciatica is a common medical condition that causes pain, numbness, and weakness in the lower back, buttocks, legs, and feet, and it's caused by a compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve. .
The sciatic nerve runs from the lower back down to the legs, and when it is compressed or irritated by an injury or compression, it can cause significant discomfort and pain.
Other common causes of sciatica include spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, piriformis syndrome, and degenerative disc disease.
Usually, people experience sharp, shooting pain along with the length of the nerve in the lower back or one leg.
What are somatic exercises?
Somatic exercises are repetitive, simple movements that release physical tension being stored in the body.
Unlike traditional exercises that focus on building strength or flexibility, somatic exercises emphasize the mind-body connection while improving bodily awareness. They rely on a series of slow, controlled movements that are designed to help individuals understand how their body responds to stress and tension.
Why choose somatic exercises for sciatica?
Somatic exercises target the root cause of sciatica by identifying muscular imbalances in the sciatic nerve and throughout the body and then by working to correct them.
By increasing coordination of the body's movement patterns, especially in the nervous system, sciatic nerve pain can be a thing of the past. Thus, incorporating somatic exercise into your daily routine can be a game changer when it comes to sciatica pain.
What's an effective somatic exercise program for soothing sciatica?
Our signature program, Free Your Hips In 30 Days, is a great somatic exercise program to heal sciatic nerve pain naturally.
Free Your Hips In 30 Days is an easy-to-follow program of hip and lower back exercises that actually gets to the root cause of your sciatica pain, rather than just treating the pain itself — so you can finally have PERMANENT relief.
Tips For Maximizing The Benefits Of Somatic Exercises For Sciatica:
- When you start a somatic exercise program, you always want to pay attention to your body. This means understanding how your body reacts to each and every exercise — so you can modify when necessary.
- Take frequent breaks to give your body time to rest and recover.
- Take your time and focus on doing the exercises that focus on stretching and strengthening the back, hips, and core muscles.
- Try to avoid twisting your spine too much.
- Perform exercises in a slow and controlled manner
- Take a few moments of rest between exercises
- Do not push to the point of pain.
The beauty of our Free Your Hips In 30 Days program is that it's a 30 day somatic exercise program of perfectly-sequenced video classes that allow for modifications, rest, and the ability to evaluate where you're at with your body.
Benefits Of Incorporating Somatic Exercise Into Your Regular Exercise Routine:
- Your constant hip and lower back pain will become a distant memory.
- You’ll put away the anti-inflammatory meds you keep in your desk drawer FOR GOOD.
- Your flexibility and movement will improve.
- You’ll no longer be reliant on monthly massages to heal your sciatic nerve pain.
- Your posture will improve dramatically.
- Your shoulders will no longer look slumped in every picture you take.
- Your headaches and body aches and stomach aches will disappear.
- Your anxiety will improve.
- You’ll sleep better.
- You’ll realign your legs.
- And, most importantly, your body will thank you.