Chronic stress has become an all-too-familiar feeling these days, affecting almost everyone's mental well-being while also leaving a lasting physical mark on the body. And at the heart of your body's response to stress is the hormone cortisol.
While this stress hormone is essential for your fight-or-flight reaction in a challenging situation or prominent threat, its prolonged elevation due to persistent stress can lead to a state of imbalance in the body. This imbalance, in turn, triggers a cascade of consequences, both in our physical and mental well-being.
Here are some weirdly specific signs that your cortisol levels are high:
- Your eyelid randomly twitches or spasms.
- Your calves start cramping when you're walking normally.
- You compulsively check things like making sure the doors are locked or the stove is off.
- You wake up nauseous but also hungry.
- You crave big flavors like salty or sugary.
- You forget things easily.
- You chew or grind your teeth in your sleep.
- You start developing a neck hump.
- You find it harder to lose weight (especially in your belly).
- You have a hard time switching between tasks and projects.
- You feel constantly overwhelmed with how many tasks you have.
- You become stuck in a "waiting mode" if you have an appointment or a meeting later in the day.
- You get persistent headaches.
- You catch every cold or flu you come into contact with.
- You have bruises that you don't know where they're from or how you got them.
- You sleep with t-rex arms.
- You subconsciously organize, move furniture around, or rage clean to try and calm your racing thoughts.
- You develop nervous tics like chewing on your cheek or picking at your nails.
You can lower your cortisol levels in under 30 days with a somatic exercise program.
If you can relate to more than 5 of these signs of high cortisol, you should know how easy it is to reduce those levels with a somatic exercise program!
Somatic exercises, which are simple movements aimed at releasing tension and promoting relaxation, can make a significant difference in your day-to-day life.
Including these exercises in your daily routine for just 30 days has been shown to lower cortisol levels and reduce the impact of ongoing stress. By practicing these mindful movements, you can reset your
So consider this your invitation to try a 30-day somatic exercise journey and reset your stress response while giving your body a chance to recover from the chronic overwhelm you've been dealing with.